Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage failure 4 May 2024 - now resolved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)

Hi all - currently on the delayed BA177 from LHR to JFK and received an email mid-flight that my bag might not have made it onto the flight (first time in 20 years flying so I guess I count myself lucky).

I can see the bag is at T5C in the baggage section (north end) via AirTag and doesn’t look like it’s going to make it onto any of the later NYC flights today.

Looking for advice from the group - I guess I have to wait till I get to the baggage hall to put in the lost bag request - do I seek out the BA reps asap knowing it’s still at LHR or do I have to wait for them to all come out first ? Do I just head to hotel and register later ? What’s typical timing of being reunited on this route ? Any other advice as will head out tonight for emergencies but I might need a new work wardrobe if it doesn’t arrive by Sunday night.

I’ve tried to pre-register via the link bu lt either the site is under strain or it doesn’t like me trying to do it at 30000 feet somewhere over Canada…

many thanks all for any help

best

BBF

Last edited by Blue Box Flynn; May 4, 2024 at 1:36 pm Reason: Cleaner title
Old May 4, 2024, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes I was going to put a separate thread up on this, but you've beaten me to it. The T5 baggage sorter developed a fault just after 11:00 hrs today, report at 11:24 hrs, and immediately it led to a mountain of bags building up. A critical component needed to be replaced and it took until 17:20 hrs for stability to be achieved. So a large number of ULDs were taken to stand 527 (so would show on air tags as being near the First lounge, and the rest have ended up in the BRF, which is on the north side ot T5C. The Baggage Reconciliation Facility is a warehouse where everything gets dumped, and then slowly fed into the baggage system as capacity and flights allow. So as soon as you see your bags moving away from T5C then it's probably then en route to New York.

I presume this doesn't apply, but the Windsor Suite is also affected by what looks to be a separate baggage failure, but you're going to be in very good company here.

In terms of your question, the JFK staff should know about this (I mean, they read FT surely?) and so you can go straight to them on arrival. Make sure you have your tag details handy for them and treble check they get your telephone and email addresses correct.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thread with advice on dealing with delayed baggage:

Delayed/lost luggage rights
Old May 4, 2024, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Muchas Gracias CWS - mine is at the T5C Location so will keep an eye on it for the early JFK flights tomorrow and hopefully it makes it to one of them. Luckily I have Global Entry so hoping I can get to the BA reps quickly in the baggage hall and register the lost bag and head for the Hotel. Have my luggage tag and particulars at the ready…. Let’s see how it goes !

thanks again

BBF
Old May 4, 2024, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

In case of geek level interest the in-flight manager found out about it from the passengers rather than the other way around - the mythical iPad suggests all was complete for the flight with all bags loaded. He’s raised it to HQ via teams for an update and will let us know in due course. He is doing a grand job with limited info so nothing but praise for me on this one at least….

BBF
Old May 4, 2024, 1:15 pm

Yes, I should have mentioned that: now that crew Teams has been "wired" through to the Operations Centre in Waterside, someone should be able to give more information. I guess the other point to make is that T5C is usually not hugely staffed, so it may be the AirTag won't pick up an update that often. BA should link in my Teams account really, but that's another matter.
Blue Box Flynn likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Agreed on T5C coverage - mine is getting picked up every 20-30 mins so someone must be walking past with an iPhone etc… missed the last flight of the day out so pinning hopes on tomorrow….

thanks CWS for the help - will share any meaningful updates that help others

BBF
Old May 4, 2024, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The system I can see shows 95 of the 237 bags were not loaded.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks CIHY - 99% certain I’m one of the 95…. Should have bought a lottery ticket !.

Old May 4, 2024, 1:38 pm

That strange roofing tells me it's the BRF. Now the fact that you get a ping every 20-30 minutes is interesting / useful to me so that I can advise others about this. Usually the BRF isn't staffed overnight, but it is staffed if there are a lot of bags inside or there are baggage movements out of hours (which occasionally happens). So the ping rate after 23:00 hrs UK will be interesting, since if it's still every 20-30 minutes then someone is in the BRF doing something.

[Bit mad we can get all this info to you - I doubt the Contact Centres would have this information]
Blue Box Flynn, DaveS and 86BA7 like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

In-flight manager just provided an update to those of us in CW whose bags didn’t make it - sounds like about a 3rd distinct make it (as per CIHY)… sounds like they will have colleagues lined up to handle in the baggage hall…. He seems hopeful that mine is one the last flight of the day today but mine is still showing in T5C…. Will raise a claim in the baggage hall and go from there.

Will provide any other updates if relevant.

thanks again CWS and CIHY… can only assume many others across multiple flights on the same situation…. So might see a few more come to FT.

BBF
Old May 4, 2024, 1:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Blue Box Flynn
So might see a few more come to FT.
I have changed your title to help any others looking for info on this.

aks120
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Old May 4, 2024, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Will check the ping rate later this eve as well to see how much the baggage Wombles move about (or not)
Old May 4, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Is there a missing bag form online that you can complete, I wouldn’t be hanging around at the airport.

Last edited by Can I help you; May 4, 2024 at 3:04 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I didn’t have 4/4 bags arrive with me today…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.